Friday, May 17, 2013

My thrift store junk...ahem, treasure...

My name is Jeanette, and I am a thrift store junkie.  Recently I've been in search of a cabinet with doors to store some of our home school stuff.  But being that our home school room is minuscule , the cabinet had to meet very strict size requirements.  I have been searching thrift store, retailers, and the web with no luck (unless I wanted to pay $400 for a tiny cabinet from Pottery Barn, which I didn't).  But then I ran across this "gem" in ARC...


I know what you're thinking...piece of junk, right?!  Yeah, trust me, that's what I was thinking too.  It was worse in person.  The shelves were missing, the card board back was falling apart, it was extremely un-sturdy, not to mention HIDEOUS.  So of course, for $19.99 I made it mine.  

I primed it...

I painted the inside yellow & the outside white...

I added shelves, bead board, paintable wallpaper, and new hardware...


And, TA-DA!  A cabinet to hide our not so sightly home school books (at least some of them)...



And let me state that the paintable wallpaper was my original idea.  But it turns out it was original to more people than just me, as there are paintable wallpaper furniture projects all over Pinterest!  Oh well, obviously I have awesome ideas!  

Stay tuned...I have more projects.  An antique dresser to upcycle for  our entryway and a coffee table that needs a new oak top.  More furniture blogs to come.  Yay!




No comments: