Thursday, September 20, 2012

Hawaii: Week 2

Day 8:

Today's funny statement is awarded to Isaac.  When we got to the picture perfect pool in the Keslar's neighborhood, Isaac took a deep breath in, a long sigh out and said:  "Mommy, THIS IS THE LIFE." Isaac, I concur.


"THIS IS THE LIFE"



A few more photos:

I checked in on my kids and this is how I found them sleeping.  So sweet!
...& I'm allergic to something.  I'm thinking fresh pineapple.
I've had it before, but today I had it in mass quantity...hmmm.  =(



Day 9:

Pearl Harbor

Today Denyelle took all of the kids to the park so that I could see the Pearl Harbor Memorial in peace.  A big thank you to you, my friend!  I'm glad that I got a chance to see the memorial.  Because words just don't seem to be enough...here are some photos from my visit:











A small section of the names of those lost that day.







We are now in this war, We are all in it--all the way.
Every single man, woman and child is a partner in the
most tremendous undertaking of our American history.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt, fireside chat, December 9, 1941
Acts of heroism that day were
many and not all recorded.
Gunner's Mate Third Class Alvin H. Bruene, USS Arizona

Why them and not me?
Ensign Paul H. Backus, USS Oklahoma
No matter how severely injured, we will fight for life.
Seaman Second Class, Everett Hyland, USS Pennsylvania
Few islanders went to bed that night...Outdoors there was silence...
Shortly before midnight, the moon began to rise, and a vivid lunar rainbow,
the old Hawaiian omen for victory, arched over the dark city.
Gwenfread Allen, author
Dear Lord/ Lest I continue/ My complacent way/ Help me to remember
Somehow out there/ A man died for me today./ As long as there be war
I then must/ Ask and answer/ Am I worth dying for?
Poem Eleanor Roosevelt kept in her wallet during World War
I will Never forget.
Radioman Third Class Warren Verhomm, USS Keosanqua


__________________________________________________________

After Pearl Harbor we treated the kids to Chuck E Cheese for lunch, then we drove up the East Coast which was absolutely breathtaking.  Here are some pictures from the drive:




























Day 10:

Today was awesome.  Today I skydived from 14,000+ feet.  And now I'm addicted.  I thought that I would be really nervous about the actual getting out of the plane, but I wasn't.  It was so exhilarating!  I'm in love with it.  I don't think that was the last time that I'll jump out of a plane.  Nathan and I have already talked about skydiving in Colorado next summer.  Anybody want to join us??  In fact we're even considering going to skydiving school to get AFF certified.  Then we could budget a skydiving date once a month...how awesome would that be??  




Meeting my instructor, George.
He's teaching me what I need to do when we  jump out of the plane.

Being interview by my camera guy, Brandon.


















Views from the plane right before we jumped.












































I don't think there is a better way to see North Shore!



A litte bit of upside down fun!


AMAZING VIEW.

I have to admit...this is the one moment that I was scared.
(when the parachute went up).





















Day 11:

Today we tried to go to the swap meet, but they weren't having it.  So we "ran by" Old Navy to grab some flip flops for the beach, but ended up coming home with shorts, shirts, & flip flops.  How does that happen?  Oh, and we had Starbucks (pumpkin spice latte & pumpkin bread).  And pastries.  And doughnuts.  And cookies.  There is no photo evidence of this though... =)




Day 12:
We checked into the cabin today!

Sunset from the porch of our cabin.






















Day 14:

A few pictures throughout the day.  I'm so in awe of how beautifully and uniquely God paints the sky throughout every day.  










I'm especially in love with this beautiful view.


















We've got two more full days left at the beach.  We're pretty much eating, sleeping, and going to the beach while we're here.  And enjoying every moment!  I'll leave you with a link to one of my old posts that I've been reminded of this week:  How Great is Our God?

No comments: